1.1.All students will conduct themselves in a professional manner in all interactions through the platform
All messages to OWs and parents should be polite and business-like;
• Dear Mr Smith, my name is…
• ‘…I’m in the L6th Benson and would like to find out more about a career in…’
• ‘…I’m thinking of applying to Bristol University to study Economics and wondered what your experience has been like…’
Some ideas on what you could ask in regard to careers advice and guidance:
• ask for an insight into their profession and its ‘real life’ pros and cons;
• how could you improve your skills to support progression in their type of profession;
• are there alternative career paths within the industry you are enquiring about which you may be more suited to;
• are their options for work experience, apprenticeships or graduate schemes within their company you could look into; and could they help you develop a network of contacts after you leave Wellington College
Please note that as you are under the care of Wellington College until you leave College and with this in mind, we ask all pupils to adhere to the safeguarding guidelines below relating to your interaction with members of the Wellington Community on the Welly Connect network, therefore:
1.2. All electronic communication should be done through the messaging system on the platform.
• All electronic communication you have with Wellington Community members should be done through the messaging system
• Students should not give out personal contact details such as phone number or email address
• Students should not connect with Wellington Community members on any personal social media account. Do not offer or accept to be the friend, follower, subscriber or similar on any personal account.
• The College is able to monitor the messaging that goes through the system and can support students’ networking efforts more effectively if the networking is done through the system
• It is advised that you do not send too many messages to an individual unless they are communicating in equal frequency.
1.3. Making contact with adult members outside the system
• As mentioned above – all electronic messaging is to be conducted through the platform. We do, however, recognise there will be times when you may need to contact an adult member by phone, email, Zoom, or face to face
• If you are going to make contact in this way with a Wellington Community member then you should let a parent/guardian or member of teaching staff know
2. General code of conduct when using Wellington Connect
This platform offers members of the Wellington Community, including 6th form students at Wellington College UK, the opportunity to connect with each other and whilst we encourage this, we also ask all members to show respect for other users on the platform and carefully read and adhere to the following code of conduct.
• Show respect for fellow participants on all platform mediums, including but not limited to the newsfeed, groups, and private messages. Discussions on the platforms main feed and groups are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. I will let others have
their say, just as I may.
• Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships. I will therefore be clear who I am and who I work for when posting on any platform. This means including my real name in my profile along with disclosing my employer. Anonymous activity is not permitted. I will not try to impersonate or attempt to impersonate another user or any other person or entity (including, without limitation, by using e-mail addresses or usernames associated with any of the foregoing.)
• I understand that obscene, threatening, offensive, demeaning, derogatory, disparaging, abusive language is strictly prohibited
• I will not degrade others on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation and class.
• I understand that any messages or posts that I send/write which are deemed as abusive or otherwise objectionable material will be removed and if extreme will result in immediate and permanent restriction of your account.
• I will report any posts/messages I see from others which I find abusive or otherwise objectionable material – by emailing the Community Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or contacting Delyth Lynch, Director of Safeguarding at DAL@wellingtoncollege.org.uk
To ensure the safety of pupils and all members on Wellington Connect any breach of the above points go against the College Behaviour Management Policy and Pastoral, Wellbeing and Safeguarding Policies and may result in a Major Sanction as well as being removed from the
3. Please ensure that you are familiar with our policies and documents relating to Wellington Connect here:
• Wellington Connect Policy
• Wellington Connect Adult Code of Conduct
• The Wellington College Safeguarding Policy and e-safety Policy are available to view on the College website.
Updated September 2023